Congratulations to Jennifer Thomas!! You are the winner of one of Kimberly Gordon Biddle’s books!!! And congratulations to Steena Hernandez! You have won a Zoom session with Kimberly!! Thanks so much for joining me and Kimberly for PBJamz! Kimberly will be in touch about your prizes!!
Chatting with Megan about Carnegie, Music, lyrical language and more!
Megan and I are both Carolina girls with a love for music, beautiful language and gorgeous picture books, so I really enjoyed our conversation about Carnegie Hall, Isaac Stern, music in the schools, music as a universal language and so much more! I hope you enjoy our chat as much as we did! Megan is giving away a critique of a picture book manuscript, so PB writers, be sure to leave a comment below to be eligible! I'll do a random drawing from everyone who comments.
PB (Picture Book Tasting) -- THE GREATEST SONG OF ALL
Whether you are traveling to New York City or teaching a unit on activism, teaching about Carnegie Hall in music class, or looking to focus on ELA standards for figurative language and literary devices, this book literally has something for everyone. There are so many layers, you won't have any difficulty finding a way to use it in your family or school. Notwithstanding it is simply beautiful to read and absorb. The book, published by Quill Tree Books and beautifully illustrated by Katie Hickey is about the journey to save Carnegie Hall, when it was slated to be torn down. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did! Please remember to support the authors by:
1. purchasing the book if you'd like
2. requesting the book at your local library
3. leaving a review for the book on Amazon, GoodReads, or Barnes and Noble
4. Sharing this episode with a friend who might enjoy it
5. Sharing book recommendations with friends, family, or on social media.
A Little Jam. . .(The Music Kind)
This is a short performance from Mr. Stern himself. There are some others included in the YouTube playlist in the links section if you'd prefer something different. This performance is NOT at Carnegie Hall. He was in China for this one, but it is short and beautiful for those teaching littles, just to give them a little taste of Isaac Stern's playing. You could certainly compare this to his beginning violin as talked about in the book, and discuss how he moved from one to the other. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice! :-)
Teacher Tips, Tricks and Topics
Tips and Topics for Music Teachers
So many ways to use this book in the music classroom!
Tips for authors from Megan
Writing Prompts from Tonnye
1. If you could perform at Carnegie Hall, what would you like to do?
2. Write an acrostic Poem for CARNEGIE HALL.
3. Write a "How to" article for how to be an activist/how to make a difference.
4. Write about something in your community that needs changing and how you would go about helping the change happen.
5. Write a biography for one of the people mentioned in the book.
6. Write a letter to Isaac Stern or Robert Moses telling them what you think about their efforts.
7. Listen to a performance from Carnegie Hall and write something to respond to the music.
8. Write a travel brochure for Carnegie Hall.
9. Listen to several performances from Carnegie Hall and write about which was your favorite -- and why.
10. Do you think Robert Moses was a villain in this story? Why? or why not?
Links, More Fun, Extensions for Families and Everyone!
Pinterest board containing lots of links to go along with THE GREATEST SONG OF ALL
YouTube playlist with performances, history and more from Carnegie Hall
www.youtube.com/c/carnegiehallCarnegie Hall YouTube channel
Carnegie Hall education resources
www.carnegiehall.orgCarnegie Hall website
After a night at the theater or a musical performance, a late night milkshake is the perfect go-to. You could grab one at your local drive-through or craft your own at home. This amazing PBJ milkshake comes to you courtesy of hip2save.com, and is inspired by a Disney shake. They give lots of options for personalizing your own PBJ shake. You can find the link to the recipe below:
Or, just let your imagination run wild and compose your own PBJ shake worthy of an encore performance at Carnegie Hall.
Guest Links and Giveaways
Megan has generously donated a Picture book manuscript critique, so make sure you comment below if you're a writer who would like Megan's eyes on your manuscript for some constructive feedback. If you're NOT an author, feel free to comment as well. Just let me know you don't want to be entered for the prize.
Here are some ways to access Megan and her beautiful book(s):
Website for Megan
Megan's Amazon page
To purchase THE GREATEST SONG OF ALL;
Barnes and Noble
This page is the official space for PBJamz -- multimedia Jamorama celebrating all things PB (picture books) and Jamz (music), although we'll indulge in the other PBJ snacks where appropriate :-). Join us each Thursday for new content connecting picture books and music!